Love In Stereo
The song that was originally a demo for MKS, the group that consisted of the original members of the Sugababes. There's speculation that this might be the first single and I hope that's true because it's very good indeed. 9/10
Dance Music
The taster track from the album that's available to purchase now, in it's entirety. A seductive, juddering electro disco number. "The thrill of it all tonight. Your body to mine". Those saucepots Sara and Keren want you to "feel the music" - ladies, we're feeling it. 7/10
I'm on Fire
This song has a real eighties vibe to it. For me, this is one of the standout tracks of the album. I can see it being a single. 8/10
Intoxicated
From the title, I assumed this would be a song about the result of a typical night out for our heroines. However, I was wrong. "I saw you across the room and it hit me like a bolt out of the blue". The hook is so immediate. I can't stop singing the bloody thing. One day, without realising, I was humming the melody down the phone to someone, during a really quite serious conversation about death. Damn you, Sara and Keren for writing such catchy tunes! 9/10
Tonight
By track 5, I've become to realise that Bananarama are very needy girls. Apparently, they need you 'tonight'....and they are very insistent as they sing those words several times throughout the song. Perhaps they need you to bring take-away food over - or perhaps it's for something more saucy? I don't want to think that far ahead. 7/10
Looking for Someone
Keren are Sara are looking for someone to believe in. Is that asking for too much? STORY OF MY LIFE, ladies. 7/10
Stuff Like That
I wonder if the girls were perhaps low on inspiration during the writing of this camp, disco, future classic. I imagine a conversation in the recording studio.
Sara: "Keep saying to me...? ....erm....any ideas, Keren?"
Keren: "Sara, darling, frankly I just want to finish and head over to Soho House for a vodka and tonic"
Sara: "....sod it, I'll write 'stuff'. Let's go!"
The rest is history. 8/10
It's Gonna Be Alright
"I wanted a cowboy by my side". Perhaps this song started out as a country song, as they have previously mentioned that they'd like to record an album in Nashville? Unfortunately, that dream never happened - but don't fret, it's gonna be alright (heh). 7/10
Got To Get Away
Ever since I watched a grainy camera phone video of a performance of this song turned up on YouTube, I've been impatiently waiting for the studio version. It's upbeat guitar pop and I love it. 9/10
On Your Own
"How does it feel on your own?" This is Bananarama slowing down for a mature number. It's really great and I can't wait to hear the full song. 8/10
Final thoughts
This is already one of Bananarama's best albums. Yes, it's that good.

A fantastic album of top songs, immediate favourites include 'Looking for Someone' and 'I'm on Fire'. The comeback promo single 'Stuff Like That'is so infectiously catchy and bang on the money which, if the top 40 singles chart was like it used to be would easily I'm sure guarantee Bananarama a Top 5 Hit. Welcome back!
ReplyDelete