Wednesday, 23 January 2019

R Kelly: Music and ethics

I've just recently watched the R Kelly documentary series and it's every bit as shocking as the promotional material suggested.

It got me thinking about music and ethics.  At the ripe age of 45, I'm much more considered about my musical choices and the artists that I support.  I'm not sure if it's related to my maturity or whether I'm led by the mass outrage on social media which is hard to avoid.

Obviously, I prefer musicians to not be utter complete bastards and I don't expect other people to be completely on my wavelength but I can't work out why anyone would support an alleged child-abuser - even if they have created an amazing album?

It seems that a portion of the buying public don't always agree when it comes to moral choices and supporting artists.  News stories, no matter how hideous, are simply promotion for artists and the record companies sometimes take advantage of that.  Sales often increase in those scenarios and readers, this is where I struggle.  A record company paying for an front page advert on iTunes during an artists ongoing court case is pretty fucked up.  Yes, they invest a lot of money and time on artists but there really is no excuse.  Suck it up and do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment