Wednesday, 23 January 2019

D I S C O and envy

I sometimes look at photographs of Grace Jones, in the days when she was a less menacing disco diva - or Sylvester getting mighty real - or the sounds of Donna Summer getting saucy in the recording studio to a hypnotic melody.....and I feel extreme envy that I wasn't old enough to experience some of that.

Don't get me wrong, I know that the seventies weren't particularly brilliant in so many ways, but there has always been something about the disco era that seems so exciting, so sexy and so god damn desirable.

Sadly, I don't have a time machine and you're now mourning that you won't be able to see me in high-waisted purple flares or the fetching jump suit that's pictured.

At least we have the music to get us by.

Men had an awful lot of hair in the seventies and I lost a lot of mine in my 30s, so I would have possibly have been an outcast compared to many.  Though I do have a beard and a hairy chest, so I perhaps would have worn a gold necklace with a medallion to lure future potential sex conquests.

I imagine discotheques with lit-up dance floors and a DJ whose hair is so enormous that he can barely see through it to change records.

However, I draw the line at wearing white trousers.

I wonder - am I alone in my jealousy of the disco era?

Check out some amazing photos from the legendary Studio 54 here

No comments:

Post a Comment