Saturday, 19 January 2019

Remembering: Kirsty MacColl

The first time I heard of Kirsty MacColl was on Radio 1 in 1984 when I was a mere young lad.  The song was 'A New England' and I was immediately drawn to the unique layered harmonies that Kirsty became so well known for.

After that, she seemed to disappear until the now festive classic was released; 'A Fairytale in New York' with The Pogues and I wondered if this was sign that we'd get to see new material from her.  It was over a year later that we got to hear 'Kite', perhaps Kirsty's most celebrated album.  Kirsty's talent was beyond creating beautiful melodies. She had a knack for writing poignant and brilliantly witty lyrics like 'Don't Come the Cowboy with me Sonny Jim' and 'Fifteen Minutes'.

Two years later, we were treated to the eclectic 'Electric Landlady' with it's lead single 'Walking Down Madison' featuring the talent of Smith's guitarist Johnny Marr. It was a minor success.  Once again, two years passed before the next collection titles 'Titanic Days'.  This was such a special album for me. I just seemed to connect with the songs. In particular, one called 'Soho Square'.

It was a whole seven years later that we got Kirsty's brilliant 'Tropical Brainstorm', the album that would end up being her final. Inspired by her love of Cuba, the album is a brilliant mix of cuban rhythms and electronics.

Some time afterwards, Kirsty was on holiday in Mexico with her children and the news came through that she'd been involved in an accident.  Kirsty was swimming with her boys and was struck by a speedboat in a restricted area. She died instantly.

I remember the shock and disbelief.  It was such a terrible way to die, infront of her children. It's hard to imagine anything worse.  Those poor children.

Though I didn't have the pleasure of seeing Kirsty perform live because she used to suffer from stage fright, I did go to her memorial concert in London at the Royal Festival Hall.  Afterwards, I sat on the bench in Soho Square, named in her honour, and the words and melody of that song lingered in my mind.

Kirsty MacColl; gone but never forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment