Thursday, 4 October 2012

Chain Reaction with Jennifer Saunders

A couple of months ago, Radio4 aired a radio show hosted by Caitlin Moran titled 'Chain Reaction'. 

In one episode of the series Cailtin interviewed the comedy goddess Jennifer Saunders.  Of course, fans of Bananarama will know that Jennifer has worked with Bananarama in the past on the hit 'comic relief' charity single 'Help'.  The show is no longer available to download from BBC iPlayer.  However, UK residents can listen to a short clip of the show here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00xsvzv


As I am a kind, generous person.  I've decided to loosely transcribe that section of the show for you!

Caitlin: When I used to watch you on TV, I totally idolised you.  I used to imagine you going on out on the town with Bananarama, and probably also Kirsty Maccoll, and having the best time of your life.  Please tell me you were!


Jennifer: It happened.  It absolutely happened. The nights with Bananarama were some of the best nights of my life, and I got a lot of gags from Bananarama because they were big vodka drinkers.  Dawn and I were very unprofessional.  When I started doing AbFab, I remembered all of the falls that I saw Bananarama do.  I once saw one of them coming out of a cab bottom first and hitting the road, and I thought 'that's class'.  They were great.  They were such good fun.


Caitlin: This is literally the happiest thing that's happened to me all evening.  I just imagined it, but it was really happening at the time!


Jennifer: On yeah.  We had a good time.

Well, there you have it.  You could almost say that Bananarama were part of the inspiration behind the hugely popular comedy, Absolutely Fabulous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment