Twitter never fails to amuse me. Honestly, I've communciated with some truly fantastic people on Twitter, since I began tweeting away about Bananarama and spreading huge amounts of glamour to the twitter world. However, I am slightly concerned about the number of untruths that people tweet. Therefore, I decided to try to banish some of these blatant lies, whilst reminding us of some of the reasons why so many people @LoveBananarama .
Bananarama are not a manufactured group
I can understand why some people think that the Nana's were manufactured. We are so used to reading about the manufactured girl groups of the past. The stories of record producers hunting for their next big act. We've now seen too many reality shows and it's almost hard to believe that every band isn't secretly put together by Simon Cowell. Well, Bananarama did not have to audition for a part in the band. Their beginnings were the same as many other bands. They decided they wanted to form a group, and so it happened. There is also a very sexist opinion that women, or female groups couldn't possibily have created their own band from scratch. Is it really too hard to believe that women can't choose their own path, choose what they wear and what music they can sing?
Bananarama are not a PWL act
Whilst many acts like the (amazing) Kylie began their career with SAW and were signed to Pete Waterman's record label, Bananarama were not. It's often forgotten that Bananarama were not like the other SAW produced acts. They already had a successful career, a number of chart hits and a record deal elsewhere. With the exception of a couple songs, they co-wrote with SAW for a period. This behaviour was quite unusual for lots of SAW produced acts.
Bananarama write most of their songs
Many artists don't write their owns songs. However, Bananarama have always played a crucial role in creating their sound. They've co-written most of their material. Unfortunately some people only remember the few covers that they recorded and jump to conclusions. Lazy, lazy people that don't know the facts. Cruel Summer, Robert De Niro's Waiting, I Heard A Rumour etc.... all songs that they co-wrote....
I could go on and on... but I won't.
The fact is that Bananarama are not your average girl group by far. They've influenced so many pop stars, from the Spice Girls to Lily Allen .... They did things their way, and they paved the way for many female acts for years to come.
So, if anyone else questions Bananarama's credentials, kindly remind them by telling them a few truths. If they refuse to listen, then empty your coffee into their hangbag and run.... (Joke - please don't ruin any nice handbags!)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete